I just made one of THE BEST recipes of my entire life. I mean soup recipes. I’ve made some pretty killer deserts, but let’s be real here, if you add enough sugar to anything, it’ll taste amazing. So like I said before, this month I’m getting creative with my meals. So I found a Creamy Corn soup recipe, which seemed kind of “blah”. I wanted to add more flavor, give it a kick in the butt. You know what I mean; I get tired at times eating boring food. I love to taste food, create a profile of flavors.
Corn and Rice Soup
This is a two part dish, first you will make the rice for it, and then you’ll make the base of the soup. The rice is a rice pilaf which tastes amazing and is a great side to any type of chicken dish. It makes rice about a 10 minute longer chore, but it makes regular rice taste expensive.
Ingredients (for the rice):
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 chopped onion; I just used whatever I had in the fridge
1/4 green pepper, chopped
1 cup rice
2 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
Ingredients (for the soup):
2 cans corn, when you drain this save the juice from the corn into a little bowel, you will need it later.
3 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
6 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
6 cups milk
1 pinch garlic salt
1. Start with your rice pilaf. In a pan melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
2. Add onion and green bell pepper and sauté until onion is yellow and smells amazing.
3. Add rice and the rest of your butter; stir together until butter is melted. Stir frequently for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add water and chicken bouillon cubes. Don’t worry about stirring, I didn’t and it was fine. Bring to a boil.
5. Stir once, and bring down the heat.
6. Stir again, and cover.
7. Do NOT peak, and let it cook covered for 15 minutes. Trust me, you’ll be busy with the soup do not peak.
8. Move onto your soup. Get a big stockpot for your soup. This will be making enough for 2 meals. Or a really hungry family likes mine.
9. Drain your canned corn, but save the liquid in a bowel you will need this later.
10. Add corn, water, and onion into stock pot and let boil for 10 minutes.
11. Strain, and leave corn in the strainer.
12. Add 4 tablespoons of butter to stockpot let it melts down; turn down your heat to about medium.
13. Add 4 tablespoons of flour to your stockpot; this is what I call a roux. It is probably wrong to call it this. Add the rest of your butter if you feel that your roux is too thick. If it looks powdery, add more butter.
14. Add your 6 cups of milk and whisk it in. You want your temperature at a medium, and stir frequently if not, your milk will curdle. Stir for 5 minutes.
15. Add your corn, salt, and rice at this point. Let it cook on medium for another 10 minutes.
It may come out too thin, just add a bit of corn starch. I did and it made it thick like potato soup, but some people like a thinner soup. My husband ate two bowels of this. I was full after one. I put the leftovers into a gallon bag and have it in the freezer for when there’s a lazy day and I don’t want to cook. This can happen quiet often.
The meal takes about 45 minutes to make the first time. Double checking if you added everything, and hoping it all comes out well. I was also making biscuits while this was going on so I was pulling my hair out a bit. But dinner was fabulous. It tasted so rich and like I slaved over the stove all day. I didn’t of course. I talked to my husband while I worked and listened to him talk about his day. You can do the soup and rice simultaneously obviously. I was just coming up with this off the top of my head and was trying so hard to make sure I did this all correct.
Try and cook one homemade meal a day. I could have used all fresh ingredients if I had fresh corn on hand, but I didn’t because canned corn has a longer shelf life, and we are poor this month and needed things to last longer. This is as close to “clean” eating as we come.
Last year I was making “Taco Soup” which was condensed tomato soup with beef, canned corn, canned tomatoes, and canned beans mixed with a packet of taco seasoning. That soup is amazing also, I’m not bashing it, but I’ve come a long way in a year. I am the girl who had the fire department called because I burnt the pan trying to boil water. If I can make this amazing meal in less than an hour for my family, you can too.